Monday, February 25, 2013

How it all started

Yesterday marked a big day for me, but more importantly, us as a family.  Yesterday was the one year anniversary of getting out big, fat positive.  That's right, one year ago yesterday I was officially one day late and peed on that all mighty stick (Tmi?  In this last year I learned there is no such thing).

Kyle and I very much enjoyed our childless days of staying up late and watching TV and playing video games (Kyle) until all hours and then making up for it with copious amounts of coffee the next day (Me).  I. Love. My. Coffee.  That's why it struck us as odd when one morning I brewed a fresh pot of coffee, popped open my liquid crack, I mean coffee creamer, and after I took my first sip felt completely ill.  I was petrified.  In that moment the thought of pregnancy never crossed my mind.  My only thought was, "My coffee, my coffee, why have you forsaken me?!"  Kyle took one look at me and told me I should take a pregnancy test.  Is it sad to say I was almost relieved to know that this might be the logical reason why my coffee was making me want to run in the other direction? (Noooo.  Right?)

The problem here was I was no yet late, so that first test came back negative.  We both had all this anticipation for it that we were truly disappointed when it said not pregnant.  I knew it could change in a week, but I was not holding out hope, my weird nausea was just a fluke.  So one week later I got up early and made my coffee (which was no longer making me ill, thank GOODNESS), turned on the news and took the test.  After you take them they have to sit for a few minutes so while I was waiting I went and poured my coffee, checked facebook and proceeded to forget all about it.  It wasn't until about an hour later that I went back into our room and remembered about it.  Lo and behold, when I turned the little sucker over it said pregnant.

WHAT THE WHAT?! I read the thing like eight times before my brain caught up with the situation.  I then had to call Kyle (who was at work for all of this, perks of never having a Friday class).  When he answered the phone I was dying to blurt out "I'M PREGNANT," but thank goodness I waited the extra two seconds because out of nowhere I hear an extra voice over the bluetooth in his car.  "HI KATIE," says my sister in law.   Cue awakard, "ummmm," from me.  "Kyle, I need you to call me back when you're back at work, BYE!" Real smooth there Katie, real smooth.

Twenty minutes later he called me back outside, away from everyone, including my sister in law who at this point probably thought I was a total wack job.  He was so excited when I told him the news and overwhelmed at the thought of becoming parents.  We managed to keep the secret from our parents for about 5 weeks after that, and at 9 weeks we started to share the news with close friends and family.  When I made it to 13 weeks all bets were off and shared the good news with the world.  It didn't take long for some people to figure it out though, between morning sickness which set in with full force around 6 weeks (and yes a coffee aversion was part of that, sadly) and cravings for flaming hot cheetos with lime and a dark blue gatorade (which lasted until the end of my second trimester).  It's crazy to think about my little man and how up until a year ago he didn't even exist.  Now I cannot imagine my life without him, being him momma is the best gift I've ever been given.

Okay enough with the sappy, let's see some pics!


9 weeks



17 weeks


20 Weeks


Born 40 weeks 1 day

2 comments: